Nantucket Cottage Hospital recognizes that visits from family and friends are important to the healing process. We strive to create a welcoming, supportive and safe environment for our patients, families, visitors and staff while respecting the health care needs and confidentiality of our patients.
Nantucket Cottage Hospital Visitor Policy – March 2021 Update
As we reopen services and prepare to welcome back more patients, we are proceeding with a comprehensive approach to prevent the spread of infectious disease. The Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH) team is dedicated to the safety of the Nantucket Community.
To achieve a safe environment for our patients, visitors, and staff during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic please review these important details about our visitor policy.
- Essential Visitor: Any person essential for the following: Visitors to patients receiving end-of-life care, Vendors and Contractors whose urgent non-deferrable services are deemed essential for the functioning of Mass General Brigham activities, Emergency Services Personnel (e.g., EMS, Fire), Law Enforcement, and others who may be designated by leadership.
- Support Person: Birth partners, Parents of patients who are under the age of 18 years old, Attorneys of patients and Companions for patients with intellectual and/or physical disabilities are not considered visitors but must be screened. This Support person does not count as one visitor; the patient may have a single visitor in addition to the support person/people.
- Non-Essential Visitors: Non-Essential Visitors are defined as all other visitors NCH. Non-Essential Visitors who are on-site for purposes other than to visit patients must comply with all applicable public health travel restrictions.
- Patients on Enhanced Respiratory Isolation may not have visitors except for pediatric patients or in an end-of-life situation.
- NCH is currently allowing one Support Person or Essential Visitor, and one Non-Essential Visitor per day on the inpatient units.
- The Ambulatory Clinic, Emergency Department and Procedural areas will not be able to accommodate visitors except in the case of a support person & essential visitor.
- Visitors under the age of 18. Some visitors under the age of 18 may not require an accompanying adult (i.e., an adolescent visitor who travels independently). When visitors under the age of 18 require an accompanying adult, accommodations to permit the accompanying adult as an additional visitor are at the discretion of local leadership.
- Non-Essential visitors cannot go to the cafeteria or common areas.
While in the facility visitors are required to follow the requirements below:
- All visitors must be screened for symptoms of possible COVID-19 infection (fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, chills, myalgia or new onset of loss of taste or smell). No visitors with any symptoms may be permitted into the hospital. Visitors with active COVID-19 infection will not be permitted.
- All visitors are always required to wear a hospital-issued mask while in the hospital.
- All visitors must perform hand hygiene upon entry to the facility.
- Individual areas may restrict visitation based on unit activity or patient condition.
- All visitors must wait in their vehicle until they are given permission to visit a patient or to pick up someone from patient care area.
- Visitors must remain with the patient (e.g., in the inpatient room) or with their NCH host for the entirety of the visit or will be asked to wait outside. Visitors must exit the hospital directly upon completing their visit.
- Duration and timing of the visit is at the discretion of hospital leadership or their designee.
- Visitors must always adhere to all Nantucket Cottage Hospital Infection Control requirements including symptom attestation and masking while on premises, physical distancing whenever possible, and avoidance of crowding.
At NCH we are fully prepared to provide you with the care you need, when you need it, in a safe environment.
The Island Café
The cafeteria is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday. At this time, the dining area is not open to the public.
TTY/TDD for the Hearing & Speech Impaired
If you have a disability that makes it difficult for you to use telephone equipment, we offer a TTY/TDD System to aid guests with special needs, 508-825-8360.
We provide interpretive services for most languages that present to Nantucket Cottage Hospital.
- In-person: There is currently 1 full-time interpreter that provides services in Spanish.
- By telephone and video: We currently use Cyracom Interpretive Services which allows us to contact an interpreter in most languages and insures 24 hour availability.
- For sign or ASL: We use either the video services or our TTD/TTY phone