(October 15, 2021) The annual enrollment and change period for Medicare Part D prescription drug plans is now open and runs through December 7.
To get Medicare prescription drug coverage, you must be enrolled in, or join a plan run by an insurance company or other private company approved by Medicare. Each plan varies in cost and coverage.
Nantucket Cottage Hospital’s Social Services Department provides free one-on-one consultations for those Medicare recipients who wish to enroll or review their current prescription plan. Please call 508-825-8196 to make an appointment. Appointments are available through December 7.
Since plans can change yearly, NCH Social Services Manager Sarah Chotkowski advises island residents to look over their plans on an annual basis to ensure it is the best option to meet their needs.
(September 2021) Beginning Tuesday, September 28, 2021, Nantucket Cottage Hospital will be offering flu shots at the Anderson Building at 57 Prospect Street, Monday through Saturday, from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily. Appointments are required. Sign up online through Mass General Brigham Patient Gateway, or by calling (508) 825-1000.
Every year, seasonal flu vaccines help keep our community safe by providing protection against the most common strains of influenza. Most insurances cover the complete cost of the flu shot every year, requiring no co-pay for patients.
High dose flu shots are available for 65+.
Flu Shot Clinic for Individuals Age 65+
Saturday, September 25th, 2021 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Nantucket Cottage Hospital – Anderson Building
Appointments required. Sign ups begin on Wednesday, September 1st by calling the Saltmarsh Senior Center at 508-228-4490.
Nantucket Cottage Hospital, the Nantucket Council on Aging, and the Nantucket Center for Elder Affairs are joining forces to offer a seasonal flu shot clinic to Nantucket seniors age 65+.
100 high dose seasonal flu shots will be available for free and administered on Saturday, September 25th. Appointments are required, walk-ins will not be accepted. Sign up for a time slot by calling the Saltmarsh Senior Center at 508-228-4490. Registration opens on September 1st and ends on September 15th. Time slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
THIS IS NOT THE COVID BOOSTER
Nantucket Cottage Hospital hosted its 110th Annual Meeting virtually on Friday, August 20th, 2021, led by Craig Muhlhauser, Chair of the Board of Trustees, and Gary Shaw, President and CEO, the meeting focused on the future of healthcare on the island through primary care and whole-person health and wellness.
NCH announced five annual awards to staff and community members who have made significant contributions to the mission of NCH over the past year, including:
Seinfeld/Hartmann Award for Compassionate Care:
- Ugne Aleknaite, NP – “Ugne is currently the Program Leader for Hematology-Oncology at Nantucket Cottage Hospital, where she provides direct patients care, ranging from diagnosis to chemotherapy and advance care planning for patients on Nantucket. Aleknaite holds a Master of Science in Nursing from Mass General Hospital Institute of Health Professionals and is a Certified Nurse Practitioner with certifications in Adult Gerontology Primary Care from American Nurses Credentialing Center, Chemotherapy Biotherapy, and Functional Medicine. As a program leader, Ugne was recognized by family members of those in her care for providing exceptional care during their loved ones in their final months of life. One Family member noted, “Ugne has a really special way of being able to deliver devastating news with empathy and true humanity. So many medical professionals could learn from her, how to be empathetic and caring, but also how to be realistic and honest. It is a real balance that I have rarely seen in a caregiver. When my (Family Member’s) condition was deteriorating, she spoke to us with such grace, but also with an understanding that the news she was delivering would change our lives.”
Sandy Craig Leadership Award:
- Dr. Elizabeth Hallett – “When Dr. Elizabeth Hallett became the Superintendent of the Nantucket Public Schools on July 1, 2020 in the midst of the COVID-19 global pandemic she was stepping into an extraordinary leadership challenge. 5 weeks later she presented the community with a 50 page comprehensive plan for safely reopening the Nantucket Public Schools in a new hybrid model of education. Throughout the pandemic Dr. Hallett coordinated closely with NCH and the Nantucket Department of Health to provide for the safety of NPS employees, students and their families.”
Bruce A. Percelay Philanthropy Award:
- Melanie Sabelhaus – “Melanie Sabelhaus has been a member of the Board of Trustees and Chair or co-Chair of the Marketing and Development committee since 2018. Her impact on philanthropy at NCH goes back much further. She has Chaired the Boston Pops on Nantucket twice and her energy and innovations transformed the Pops into Nantucket’s most treasured event. She was also a founding co-chair of the popular annual Women+Wellness event. Most recently, her relentless effort to build support for NCH despite the cancellation of The Pops concert in 2020 and 2021 has been critical to NCH’s financial stability.”
Phil Murray Business Award:
- 97.7 ACK-FM, Nantucket’s ‘True Island Radio’ – “The radio and digital media company is a trusted media partner that was instrumental in communicating NCH’s messages to the community throughout the pandemic. As information during the pandemic was constantly evolving, NCH relied on Executive Vice President, Laura Burnett and her team to quickly relay messages to the community and their efforts contributed significantly to the success of the testing and vaccination programs. In 2021, 97.7 ACK-FM gave additional support to NCH in the form of a gift in memory of Dr. Robert Shapiro. Owned by Jeff Shapiro, the company’s media products include the radio stations 97.7 ACK-FM and 89.5 Quahog Country, and the digital newsletters Daybreak and Mahon About Town.”
Myrt Eldridge Volunteer of the Year:
- Meryl Bralower – “Meryl is one of three women who co-founded Women+Wellness, an annual event that brings likeminded individuals together to learn about health and wellness-related topics from NCH and MGB clinicians. Since founding the event in 2017, Meryl has co-chaired each year’s event and personally recruited leading MGH clinicians as speakers Meryl is the consummate volunteer who is always willing to cheerful address and challenge.”
The NCH Board of Trustees also welcomed one new member, Lisa Clarey-Lawler, and thanked three outgoing members, Jack Burke, Bruce Chabner and Liz Winship.
Gary A. Shaw, President & CEO of Nantucket Cottage Hospital, together with Craig Muhlhauser, Chair of the Board of Trustees, invite you to Nantucket Cottage Hospital’s 110th Annual Meeting.
Friday, August 20th, 2021 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
UPDATE: The event will only take place virtually. Register and join at this link: https://partners.zoom.us/j/83214663024
The annual meeting will include an update on the state of hospital operations as well as strategic plans for the future. We will also recognize several volunteers and staff members who have provided exemplary service and leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic.