Our Blue Coats are often the first people you see when you enter the hospital. We know for a fact how the sight of their familiar faces reassures anxious patients and loved ones. These volunteers meet and greet Emergency Department visitors, guide people through the hospital, register patients for surgery and support our administrative staff.
We welcome new volunteers who want to make a meaningful difference in patient care. Orientation for the Blue Coat program occurs once a year, in the spring. We are accepting new volunteer applications.
In order to volunteer with an NCH Blue Coat Volunteer, the following is required:
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- A firm time commitment of at least 3 hours per week.
- A two-hour orientation training at NCH prior to volunteering that includes training in infection control, fire safety, back safety, and patient confidentiality.
- A health evaluation form completed by your physician.
- A copy of your up-to-date immunization record, or completed vaccination through our Occupational Health Department.
- A completed CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) check which is done through our Human Resources Department.
- An initial TB screening in our Occupational Health Department with a follow-up check.
- Completion of an annual online training course beginning in your second year as a volunteer.
If you are interested in becoming a Blue Coat, please print and fill out the NCH Volunteer Application Form and return it to the NCH Human Resources Department. Please call 508-825-8251 with any questions.