Celebrating 86 Seasons in Business –
Located at 17 India Street
2015 Hours of Operation
- Monday – Friday: 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (closed for lunch from 12:30 – 1:00 p.m.)
- Saturday: 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon
- Tuesday and Thursday nights: 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. starting on Tuesday, June 9
In 1929, a group of dedicated volunteers came together to provide affordable clothes and household goods to the island community and to generate support for the hospital. The gift from “The Thrifty Shop” that first year was $603. Since then, the Thrift Shop has contributed more than $3.9 million to the hospital, an incredible legacy of generosity. It involves everyone: residents who give gently used items, volunteers who manage every aspect of the business, and shoppers who get great deals. Old clothes and furniture are transformed into new radiology and lab equipment, a remodeled dialysis unit or new furnishings for patient rooms. In 2014 alone, the Thrift Shop donated $250,000 to support renovations in our current building, invest in our future new hospital building, and provide essential support for patients in need.
The Hospital Thrift Shop sells merchandise donated by island residents and visitors – anything from books to furniture to artwork – from late May through mid-October, and operates as a separate non-profit organization.
How to Donate
- Donations are accepted during normal business hours
- Two new ways to donate:
- In June, there will be a satellite donation drop-off site in the Cottage Hospital parking lot, open on Saturday mornings from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- In June, the shop will offer an “early bird, drive-by drop-off” at the shop on Wednesday mornings from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Clean, gently used items around your house, including clothing, furniture, decorative items, housewares.
We cannot accept these items:
Items that are broken damaged, dirty, odorous, worn-out, stained, torn, wet, moldy, rusty or frayed do not sell. Similarly, items that have spent numerous seasons exposed to pet hair, smoke or the elements do not sell. We are forced to haul unsold items to the dump/recycling center, which costs us money and reduces funding to the Nantucket Cottage Hospital.
- Air conditioners
- Alarm clocks
- CD or DVD player
- Cell phone/telephones
- Dehumidifiers/air purifiers
- Game boxes (Xbox, Gameboy, etc.)
- Fax machines/printer
- VCR players or tapes
- Electric blankets
- Bed mattresses and pillows
- Sleeper couches
- Some upholstered items (exceptions by inspection)
- Standard baby cribs/mattresses
- Opened puzzles and games
- Baby playpens
- Rug remnants or rug pads
- Exercise machines
- Pet travel containers
- Bed frames or bed headboard
- Other non-listed items (exceptions by inspection)
Volunteers are always needed for flexible hours and shifts. Contact the Thrift Shop at (508) 228-1125 or email HospitalThriftShop@gmail.com