Nantucket Cottage Hospital recognizes that visits from family and friends are important to the healing process. We strive to create a welcoming, supportive and safe environment for our patients, families, visitors and staff while respecting the health care needs and confidentiality of our patients.
Any person identified by the patient to support them during their hospital stay, including but not limited to a spouse, adult child, parent, close relative, friend, domestic partners, and both different sex and same-sex significant others, is welcome. The hospital does not require the supportive person be legally related to the patient and the hospital does not deny visitation privileges on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. The hospital will ensure that all visitors enjoy full and equal visitation privileges consistent with patient preferences.
To facilitate appropriate visitation and to assure the safety of our patients and staff, as well as to provide a quiet, restful, healing environment for our patients, we ask that all visitors follow these recommendations:
- Visitors who are experiencing or have experienced any of the following symptoms in the last 48 hours are discouraged from visiting patients until they are certain that they will not expose the patient to more diseases: fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, skin rash, vomiting or diarrhea.
- Visitors who are disruptive or disturb patients, staff or other visitors will be asked to stop the disruptive behavior or to leave the premises.
- The hospital has a no smoking policy and visitors may only smoke in their vehicles or off property.
- Children are welcome, provided it is beneficial to the patient and/or children. Children visiting the hospital who are under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult at all times.
Visiting After Hours
Visitors entering the hospital after 9:00 p.m. must enter through the Emergency Department entrance.
- Labor & Delivery: Immediate family may visit at any time per the mother’s request. All visitors must be over 12 years of age unless a sibling. Siblings under 12 must be accompanied by an adult, not the patient. If the child has been ill within the last 24 hours, with any type of illness, please do not visit. Visitors with a fever, cough or flu-like symptoms will be asked not to visit.
- Emergency Department: Visitors are limited to one at a time and will be allowed at the discretion of the Emergency Department staff.
Public Restrooms Restrooms are located on the first floor in the main corridor. A handicapped accessible restroom is available on the first floor, across from the north elevator, and also in the Emergency Department.
The Island Café
The cafeteria is open from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily. Visitors may dine in the cafeteria or in local restaurants. Vending machines are available from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the cafeteria.
TTY/TDD for the Hearing & Speech Impaired
If you have a disability that makes it difficult for you to use telephone equipment, we offer a TTY/TDD System to aid guests with special needs, 508-825-8360.
We provide interpreters for a number of foreign languages.
- In-person: We have medically trained interpreters on-staff who can be requested and utilized as needed. We have one full-time Spanish interpreter and multiple on-call interpreters for Spanish and Portuguese. For other languages, we use telephone interpreter services.
- By telephone: We use Cyracom Telephonic Service, which allows us to contact an interpreter on behalf of our patients, and insures 24-hour interpreter availability for all languages.