Imagine starting life on this little island! For approximately 125 babies a year, it wouldn’t be possible without The Birthplace at Nantucket Cottage Hospital. Under the direction of Dr. Margaret Koehm, Dr. Kristy Acosta and long-time LDRP (labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum) Nurse Manager Penny Kirk, The Birthplace is a full service, fully equipped facility complete with three large labor rooms and both ante and post-partum rooms.
From holistic, natural births to epidurals, everything we do is in the best interests of mom and baby. For example, we place newborns on their mom’s chests the minute they arrive and leave them there for as long as Mom wants. Whether you choose to breast or bottle feed, we’ll make sure you’re comfortable with the process before you leave. Even after you’re discharged, we’re happy to make well-baby visits to your home and help you with any of the common challenges and concerns new parents often face.
Beyond the excellent medical care for expecting mothers and babies, we also provide a range of pregnancy and parenting resources to help you prepare for and handle the challenges of parenthood. From childbirth education classes to certified lactation counselors available to moms, we can help ease the transition into this exciting new chapter of your life. Learn more about these classes and other pregnancy and parenting resources by clicking here.
The Birthplace programs and services include:
- Prenatal care by dedicated, experienced on-staff doctors and clinicians
- Department tours
- Breast-feeding consultations
- Jacuzzi, birthing bar and birthing peanut
- Pre-discharge circumcisions
- Post-discharge support
- Annual Nantucket Native reunion for children 5 and under born on Nantucket!
- Perinatology (high-risk pregnancy care) through our partnership with Massachusetts General Hospital
- Prepared Childbirth Education Classes:
- Six-week childbirth education course (sign up by 24th week)
- Daddy boot camp
- Grandparents classes
- Silly Sibling classes
Every baby in our tight-knit community is welcomed into the world by an extended family of caregivers who delight in watching our little “Nantucket Natives” develop and grow. Even after they leave the hospital and go home, they never leave our hearts.
The Birthplace Visitor Guidelines:
- All visitors must be over the age of 12 unless they are a sibling
- Siblings under 12 must be accompanied by an adult who is not the patient
- If the child has been ill within the last 24 hours, with any type of illness, please do not visit The Birthplace
- Visitors with fever, cough, or flu-like symptoms are asked not to visit The Birthplace
“It’s such a rewarding job. You’re helping them not just birth the baby but take the baby home with them. You see them afterwards when you’re out and they always acknowledge you.” -Penny Kirk LDRP Nurse Manager
Honoring Nantucket Natives
History of the Program: Since 1999, Nantucket Cottage Hospital has honored Nantucket Natives who were born at the hospital with our Wall of Natives. This wall is located outside The Birthplace and includes bricks engraved with the native’s name and date of birth. For a $100 donation, the bricks have been a beloved ritual for many island families with new babies.
Future of the Program: The bricks in the current hospital are unable to be relocated to the new hospital building which is expected to open in 2018. However, all Nantucket Natives who have a brick in the current building will be acknowledged in the new building in a new way – such as a tile wall or etched glass plaque. Until the new building is complete, we will accept pre-orders for new additions but their names will not be displayed until the new building opens.
Click here to pre-order your native’s spot in the new hospital building. For questions, please call the Foundation at (508) 825-8250.