- The ground floor of our new hospital is the home for most of our 24/7 medical services, including the Emergency Department and inpatient beds, as well as our specialty physician clinics and primary care practices. It is a welcoming space that accentuates natural light, provides enhanced privacy and safety, and easy access to our services.
- An expanded Emergency Department makes us crisis-ready, while co-locating it adjacent to the inpatient beds creates flexibility and efficiency to better utilize our staff and clinicians.
- Bringing many of our primary care and specialty physicians together under one roof encourages teamwork among the medical staff, and allows them to work together in a collaborative setting to improve patient care.
- The second floor of our new hospital is the home of a modern interventional suite that includes two operating rooms, one of which will be dedicated for C-sections, as well as a procedure room for endoscopies.
- Upgraded and expanded areas for infusion, including chemotherapy treatment and dialysis, improve privacy and comfort for our patients.
- The privacy and safety of patients will be greatly enhanced in the new hospital, with clearly designated public spaces versus clinical areas accessible only to patients and staff.
Below: A virtual tour of the entrance to the new Nantucket Cottage Hospital, which is expected to be complete by June 2019 following the demolition of the old hospital.
Interior Architectural Renderings
An expanded Emergency Department will make us crisis ready, while co-locating the department adjacent to the inpatient beds creates flexibility and efficiency for our staff and clinicians. The new Emergency Department will increase in size from the current 4,400 square feet to 7,340 square feet, and expand from the existing seven exam rooms to a total of 12 exam rooms in the new hospital, including two trauma rooms and two patient observation rooms. It will also feature all private treatment rooms, a “racetrack” layout for optimal patient observation, observation rooms that convert for the care of behavioral health patients, and a specialty room for OB/GYN service. It will have direct access to the Imaging Department for diagnostic scans, and an additional ambulance bay that will allow two ambulances to access the department simultaneously. In addition, the new Emergency Department will be located directly adjacent to the hospital helipad, improving both efficiency and privacy when medical transports are required
The new Nantucket Cottage Hospital will feature an expanded interventional services area that includes two operating rooms, one of which will be dedicated for C-sections, as well as a procedure room for endoscopies. By adding a second operating room, the hospital will have the capability to accommodate elective and emergency surgeries, as well as C-sections, simultaneously. The interventional services area also includes five private infusion bays for chemotherapy treatment and other infusion therapies, as well as a dialysis center with three treatment rooms that increase the hospital’s capacity to provide this critical service.
The inpatient rooms inside the new Nantucket Cottage Hospital will provide island patients with a spacious, private, and comfortable setting that is full of natural light, conducive to healing, and overlook the nearby conservation land. Situated adjacent to key clinical and diagnostic departments, the new inpatient rooms will also have direct access to a family center to facilitate family and social network support, as well as participation in the process of patient care. An upgraded and expanded physical therapy gym on the inpatient floor will also provide patients with greater opportunities for recovery.