SWING BED PROGRAM
When you need extra time to heal, Nantucket Cottage Hospital’s Swing Bed program can help if you’ve been discharged from a hospital but still need recovery time before going home.
Patients recovering from major surgery including joint repair or replacement, an injury or an illness sometimes require additional rehabilitation and skilled nursing to ensure complete and safe recovery. After surgery and hospitalization, patients often transfer from the hospital into
a specialized rehab facility to help them improve their physical functioning.
Here at Nantucket Cottage Hospital, we can “swing” you from post-operative and acute care into skilled-nursing, including physical rehabilitation and monitoring of your improvement. Whether you were first treated
here or elsewhere, the program is open to any qualifying patient wishing to recover on Nantucket near family and friends or in the intimate comfort of our hospital.
Our Swing Bed program is a federally-approved program that allows small hospitals like ours to use regular patient rooms for this special care.
Who’s Right for Swing Bed?
- Orthopedics patients with recent joint repair or replacements
- Those recovering from a wound or major surgery
- Patients with recent cosmetic or restorative
- Anyone who needs acute physical, occupational or cognitive therapy
- Patients in need of post-hospitalization pain management or IV therapy
- Patients who require management of
diabetes, congestive heart failure, cancer treatments and other chronic conditions
- Those in need of palliative or end-of-life care